Livecode <=> SQL?

Pierre Sahores sc at sahores-conseil.com
Fri May 22 21:13:44 EDT 2015

> Le 23 mai 2015 à 02:30, Dr. Hawkins <dochawk at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 7:58 PM, Pierre Sahores <sc at sahores-conseil.com> wrote:
>>> I'm not sure what you're saying here--I'm assuming a central server being hit by
>>> clients around the country, wo how can locahost handle that?
>>
>> The remote client -> HTTPS -> Apache -> (LC-Server -> PostgreSQL, both those two last
>> components connected trough port 5432 on the 127.0.0.1 localhost IP address)
>
> Oh, I see what you mean.  At the moment, I'm taking the approach of
> using a persistent server app, as the time to open a postgres database
> is significant, and could happen every couple or few seconds for each
> client.

Should’t be at all. PostgreSQL works in a stateless mode. As long as each connection to PostgreSQL is :

1.- opened (by the client, the LC server or the persistant server)
2.- processed (the request)
3.- closed as soon as the expected data are returned

PostgreSQL will be able to respond very smoothly to thousands of différent client requests peer second (lost more than Apache can provide it…).

On the other hand, if each connection is not closed as soon as the job is done, the main PostgreSQL controller will become less and less responsive because the unneeded still opened connections in its RAM array.