Livecode <=> SQL?

Pierre Sahores sc at sahores-conseil.com
Mon May 18 12:56:43 EDT 2015

> Le 18 mai 2015 à 17:31, Robert Brenstein <rjb at robelko.com> a écrit :
>
> On 18.05.2015 at 16:03 Uhr +0200 Pierre Sahores apparently wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> Still works but purely outdated. It was before LC-Server came out and i warmly recommend to use it instead of my old fashion « PHP listener + Metacard/Rev stacks » way to go.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Pierre
>
> I haven't got into the LC-Server game yet, but it seems to be that the server stacks are not staying resident.

No. You are true on this.

> My application will require lot of pre-loading of various stuff (from a db as well as disk files) that stays the same for all user calls.

My old fashion « PHP listener + Metacard/Rev stacks » permits this.

> Are you saying that this is of no concern anymore?

In my experience, persistence data reliability and RAM are not the best friends each time we have to deal, on the other hand, with massive concurrent accesses in write mode. It’s the main concern making CGI mode* + RDBMS lots more reliable.

* the way most of the big applications servers are using, including some special improvements related to data caching management : previous responses stored in hash table can be directly accessed without new SQL call.  Java, PHP, Perl, LC-Server supports to be configured in this way.

Note : PostgreSQL went always my ACID-RDBMS of choice but i have to admit that it’s not always the simplest platform to tune in certain situations. In the mean time, the MariaDB 10.xx (open source version of MySQL) seems to be becoming a very reliable platform too (INNOdb engine) lots more trustable than MySQL used to be in the past (v. 3 and 4).

Best Regards,

Pierre