Kickstarter 2013 Revisited

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Mon May 11 11:42:05 EDT 2015

> This is why I asked, hoping for a response from someone who
> shops the Greek app store, or the Japanese app store. Those
> are the ones who would know the percentage.

We sell Valentina Studio Pro worldwide in all the Mac App Stores, and of
course, the free Valentina Studio, everywhere. It is a very vertical market
tool, so it hasn't been a rush to localize, though that's coming now that
we've ported to a better framework with Valentina 6. Likewise our freebie
iValentina for iOS is in all the stores. These products are not consumer
applications though.

You know as well as anyone that we now have a large number of deployment
options. Every type of application though has its own type of market.
Certain types of games or applications sell better in some markets than
others. Then there is the total scope of the market to consider.

For example - although the Japanese market may be fraction X of the US
market, certain types of applications may sell better there. Also, you may
have a higher rate of numbers of applications purchased based on price
points and available income.

The take home you should get from that is that just knowing the proportional
size of the Japanese market for iOS apps isn't an indication of how well
your application will do there.

Let me share this tidbit with you. For Mac products, Japan has historically
been the second largest language market. Lets say you want to go all fruity
on Europe with FIGS (French, Italian, German, Spanish) localization of a Mac
application. That's four languages, of which you can expect on average sales
being more in the order of German, French, Spanish / Italian (you'd expect
Spanish to do better but there are different market influences in Spanish
speaking markets). Or you can localize into Japanese (one language), and
expect sales to be anywhere from 2/3 - 2 x ALL of Europe.

There are lots and lots of custom software devs who crank out an occasional
consumer app who never go beyond selling in their own language. They've
probably never sold anything to Microsoft or Exxon Mobil or their own
government, each of which have their own special requirements. Yet the tools
that such devs use have to be able to build those types of applications too.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software