Kickstarter 2013 Revisited

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Mon May 11 11:08:36 EDT 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 8:37 AM, Geoff Canyon <gcanyon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Again, maybe I'm unusual, but none of these apply to any of the apps I've
> ever written. I've done consulting work (oh so long ago) on apps that
> stored people's names, and likely unicode comes in handy for those, but I
> haven't asked the authors whether they take advantage of it.
>
> I'm not arguing against unicode, since I really don't know. The impression
> I get is that there has been a huge opportunity cost of implementing it,
> and on the list I've seen far more people complain about it than praise it.

I really like the changes in LC 7 with regards to unicode. I am glad to
(almost) be done with worrying about user input and user file names. I
don't localize my software but I have people writing content in my software
in Greek, Russian, Chinese, etc. The are also trying to open files that
have unicode in the path names. I'm upgrading my products to use LC 8
(started in LC7) and will be very happy when I don't have to answer
questions about why my software can't open certain files or can't be
installed in a folder with a unicode character in the path name.

My experience is that if you write an application for the general public
that allows text input or needs to open files named by the user, then there
is a high probability that you will run into unicode issues if your
software doesn't have support for it. Not having proper unicode support is
something I would eventually leave a development platform over.

--
Trevor DeVore
ScreenSteps