Unicode

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Wed May 6 04:12:47 EDT 2015

On 06/05/15 10:42, Mark Waddingham wrote:
> On 2015-05-06 01:53, Peter Haworth wrote:
>> Right, this is where I get confused on the issue of whether there are
>> uppercase equivalents of all lowercase glyphs in all languages. The link
>> you provided sheds light on this
>
> The Greek alphabet does have upper and lower case variants. However,
> in the case of typing 'qwerty' and 'QWERTY' using a Greek keyboard
> layout then you get the strings:
>   qwerty = ;ςερτυ
> and
>   QWERTY = :΅ΕΡΤΥ
>
> Which (by virtue of the punctuation and the terminal sigma on q and w)
> are definitely not the same when compared caselessly ;)
>
> Mark.
>
> i.e. Don't assume that shift-<letter> gives you an uppercase version
> of <letter> in any keyboard layout.

I'm a slob, a lazy slob, a very lazy slob, so I tend, like water, to
take the lowest and the easiest route.

So my first port of call re Greek script would naturally be here:
http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0370.pdf

Then I would set up a false on-screen keyboard ( and/or just remap keys
via "on keyUp") so that the Greek
Unicode chars lined up with the keys on my keyboard.

I have repeated this "trick" very successfully with Devanagari-Sanskrit,
Old Church Slavonic and Anglo-Saxon.

I am also very keen on little for . . . next loops involving phrases
such as "if shiftKey() is down" . . .

Oh, and to any Greek types who may be lurking around, I should like to
wish them a Happy St,. George's day.

I will be out for the rest of the day as a cousin of my wife is called
Gergana, so we are having a picnic sous les arbres.

Richmond.