How to Turn a Word Into a Graphic Object?

Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Sat Mar 28 01:00:04 EDT 2015

Thanks Scott:

With formattedRect this turned out to be "ridiculously" simple:

on MouseUp
     repeat with x = 1 to the number of words of fld _Quote
           put the formattedRect of word x of fld _Quote into
tNextWordSnapshot

      # add space left and right
       --substract 4 from item 1 of tNextWordSnapshot  # won't even compile!
       --add 4 to item 3 of tNextWordSnapshot

          import snapshot from rect tNextWordSnapshot of this cd
          set the name of the last image to ("word_"&x)
   end repeat
end MouseUp

BUT FYI in LC8 the simple math on items in a rect list is not working...
script will not even compile.. .even though docs use this exact same
example:

put"10,10"intotPoint subtract5fromitem2oftPoint -- subtracts 5 from the
second item

Am I doing something wrong?... can anyone confirm?

Also:  I don't see how this (in the docs on snapshot) can apply for
snapshots of words in a field as these are not "objects" perse:

" You can take a snapshot of an object regardless of its visibility or
open status - in particular, snapshots can be taken of objects that are
not on the current card or in stacks that are not open.

an attempt like this results in "empty rectangle"

on MouseUp
    repeat with x = 1 to the number of words of fld _Quote of cd 2
       put the formattedRect of word x of fld _Quote of cd 2 into
tNextWordSnapshot
       import snapshot from rect tNextWordSnapshot of cd 2
      set the name of the last image to ("word_"&x)
   end repeat
end MouseUp

Also if you turn the vis of the field off... you get snaps shots of
whatever is visible on the card, not the words in the field...

If I'm write.. then perhaps we need to update the docs...(Richard/Dan...
is the framework for use contributions to the documentation in MarkDown
ready yet?)

Swasti Astu, Be Well!
Brahmanathaswami

Kauai's Hindu Monastery