iOS splash screen and app load times

Chris Sheffield cs_livecode at icloud.com
Fri Mar 27 13:21:35 EDT 2015

The splash screen and load times of iOS apps when building an app with LC 6.7+ are *super* slow. Any build created with LC 6.6.5 is not. We’re working on app updates to two apps in order to add 64-bit support, so obviously we need to use the newer version of LC. But these load times are getting out of hand. I just had a tester report that for one of our apps, the splash screen displays for a full 28 seconds, at which point we have a “loading” indicator that displays while the first card is set up, and then another almost a full minute for the first main card to appear. In the same app, built with LC 6.6.5, it takes a fraction of that time. Probably only a couple seconds for the splash screen and maybe 3 or 4 seconds with the loading indicator. So what gives? This tester is running the app on an iPad 3. We’ve always struggled a bit with the iPad 3 (something to do with the hardware itself if I remember correctly), but we’ve never had speeds quite that slow. Not even close to that slow. There’s no way we can release this app this way. Something definitely changed between LC 6.6.5 and LC 6.7.

This issue really needs to be fixed, and asap in my opinion. It’s been reported here on the list before. I don’t remember by whom. Does anyone know if a bug ticket has actually been created for it? If not, I’ll create one.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Sheffield