Suggest a USB device.

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 02:27:13 EDT 2015

On 26/03/15 23:44, Mark Wieder wrote:
> Richmond <richmondmathewson at ...> writes:
>
>> Am I being naive?
> Quite, I think.
> If the scanner is that old your chances of finding a recent driver are
> miniscule. If you *do* find a driver for it, you'll still have to figure
> out how to use the driver. USB device manufacturers don't normally publish
> communication information, and certainly not at a device driver level.
>
> The USB "standard" gives you guidelines when creating a device, but leaves
> a lot to the imagination. And manufacturers have a lot of imagination.
>
> If you actually manage to talk to a USB device, you have no assurance of
> being able to leverage that information to other devices, even from that
> manufacturer.
>
> If you're attempting to create the holy grail of universal usb functions,
> I think you'll soon come to realize why this hasn't yet been done. I have
> a nice USB breakout box that I helped Kickstart, and it helps when trying
> to follow the communications stream in order to reverse-engineer how to talk
> to various USB devices, but it's still a *lot* of work. And without that box
> and the python tools that enable it, I wouldn't even try.

Mark, my "naive" question was not aimed at the scanner, but USB devices
in general.

The turtle that is being sent to me has a Windows API, and my conundrum
is how to
get in contact with it from Livecode as it has only this in the
documentation:

"Third-Party applications and active scripts should use
"SilvaElm.R2CommandInterface.R2Command" as
the program identifier string to establish connection to the API."

Not entirely transparent. Well, not for goofy types like myself.

Richmond.