Suggest a USB device.

Phil Davis revdev at pdslabs.net
Thu Mar 26 16:14:36 EDT 2015

Hi Richmond,

If the scanner is an HID device, you won't get very far. You would
probably need a driver to communicate with, via "open driver" etc. And
even then you would have to have info about the driver's data formats.

I tend to see USB as a large black hole. I haven't looked at it since
USB 2.0, but at that time the spec was daunting. It seems to have
multiplied since then:  http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/

Do you have a flash drive (aka thumb drive)? That's a USB mass storage
device. You can read from/write to that. (Of course)

Just some thoughts off the top of my head -
Phil Davis

On 3/26/15 1:04 PM, Richmond wrote:
> While I am waiting for my turtle to be delivered I am getting pretty
> cheesed-off as I would like a USB device I could hook up to my various
> computers running various operating systems . . .
>
> Certainly I feel it is pretty pointless working on "open to read" and
> "open to write"
> stuff if I don't have a target USB device to practise with.
>
> I have plenty of USB devices, but most of them are what I call
> "one-way" devices:
> that is to say they sent data to the computer, but no data is ever
> sent the other way.
>
> Anyway, I have just spotted a fairly old USB scanner (well, bought it
> about 15-16 years ago)
> lurking under a desk, and that is a "two-way" device as it has to be
> controlled from an interface on
> the computer . . .
>
> However, while I can, quite possibly, do an "open to read", I am going
> to find it difficult to "read"
> anything until I "write" some sort of command to the scanner to scan
> something . . .
>
> Has anybody tried controlling a scanner from LIvecode?
>
> Has anybody any idea of the sort of commands I should be sending a
> scanner?
>
> Richmond.

Phil Davis