Speed on Android

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Sat Mar 21 14:51:43 EDT 2015

Jacqueline Landman Gay wrote:

>Here's my new theory. Mobile doesn't support libURL, which is what handles
the connections on desktop. When I ask for a remote connection to a
database, >something takes over that seems to repeatedly try to connect and
times out (10+ secs or so.) In between timeouts I have a window where
touches are >processed, then I have to wait for the next timeout. In the
meantime, the app is in a continual state of sending and waiting for a
response from the >server. Closing the database connection isn't enough to
stop the process.

>This is my completely unknowlegeable theory based only on observation.
>But the conclusion is: remote database connections are not supported.

I see what libURL is all about but I don't see what it has to do with
opening a MySQL db from an app. All I do is open the dB with a:

put revOpenDatabase("mysql", tDatabasePath, DBName ,"username" ,"Password"
,,,,true) into DBID

The DB remains open during app execution. I don't see any reconnecting
hangs. DB access performance is only limited by the speed of the internet
connection. Has been working well for me since LC 4 thru 7 for mobile.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services
rdimola at evergreeninfo.net