LC7 & Unicode

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 02:13:55 EDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 4:38 AM, TEDennis <tedennis at softwaredetails.com>
wrote:

> Apparently all those references have been wrong.  How
> did we ALL (or most of us) get to the point where we thought Unicode was
> the
> culprit?
>
> Probably because LC7 was billed as the Unicode version and it's simple
word association. The fact that a lot more was being changed under the hood
seems to be brushed over and the focus returns to 'it's Unicode'.

> I reasoned that if Unicode wasn't involved, the impact of the
> "more fundamental" changes wouldn't have been so severe.
>
> And then of course the human trait not to believe what we've been told.
Some people believe the World Trade Centres were a controlled demolition
perpetrated by the US Gov. No matter how many times you show them videos of
planes crashing into WTC 1 & 2 they wont change their mind and the theories
and websites persist. People have decided that Unicode is to blame for LC
7's slowdown and although the experts have explained there are other
fundamental reasons for the sluggishness, some stick with the Unicode
theory.

Personally I've seen very little performance hit. Certainly FAR less than
when compared to upgrading my phone from iOS 7 to iOS 8 - but then again
Apple wouldn't let such a performance hit get past the design phase would
they - unless of course you call it Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks or
Yosemite. Yes, within the IDE I do notice an occasional lethargy, but once
I build a standalone I can't see what all the fuss is about.

I do accept though that other people's millage may vary, but regardless my
own 'theory' is: I've never seen so much time and effort put into improving
LC than has occurred since the success of the Kick Starter campaign. I've
never seen so many posts by Runrev employees, including Kevin, on this LIst,
as there've been since the IKS campaign. I've not seen so many bug squashed
and such a determination to exterminate them as is currently the case. Now
is the ONLY time I've ever noted users posting a bug they've recorded at
the QQC and withn days post again that it's been fixed and then at the next
release a grateful post as to how responsive Runrev have been. I can not
fathom the extra code, time and effort that will be required to bring us LC
8. I do know that it is impossible to get there without some kind of
performance hit, but be that as it may if there is some way, any way to
reduce that performance hit then Runrev will make every effort to achieve
it AND if anyone actually comes up with a VALID way to improve the code and
improve the performance, Runrev will happily implement it for the benefit
of everyone: users and the company bottom line.