LC7 & Unicode

TEDennis tedennis at softwaredetails.com
Mon Mar 16 12:56:58 EDT 2015

No response to my prior post, so let's try this again ...

Dr Peter Brett wrote: "Internally, the LC7 engine only uses Unicode if it
has to.  If your application only uses native strings, then LC7 will only
use native strings.  Built-in Unicode support has very little to do with the
fact that LC7 is slower for some workload"

I don't now, and don't intend to, use Unicode.

I don't want *ANY* overhead associated with a feature I don't use.

How can we determine whether or not Unicode is being "used"?

How does the LC7 engine detect Unicode is being used?

Can we turn off that detection, thus eliminating Unicode processing?

My situation: I create a "chunk" of data by concatenating binary data to
"native strings".  Then, I save the chunk into a large roll-your-own
one-record-at-a-time "database".  If LC7 is somehow automatically detecting
Unicode, perhaps my "blob" of data is fooling it into thinking it's Unicode.

The "blob" also includes native HTML text.  Could that be involved somehow
in Unicode detection?

TED