Managing Sizes - Images in Mobile (was Mobile Template)

Ralph DiMola rdimola at evergreeninfo.net
Tue Mar 10 19:06:47 EDT 2015

I took the "ease the pain" path. I include 1 image that looks good on the
best resolution device and then scale it down. I use the iPad Retina for my
calculation. So if I want the image to take up say 70% of the card, I
calculate the size so when it's taking 70% of a Retina screen it look good.
Now when the image displays on a lower resolution device I scale it down to
70% of the current device size and place it where it needs to be. Now this
has one big downfall.....CPU time. If all there were was iOS then creating
all the sizes for the Apple ecosystem would not be too bad although lots of
work when the next gen comes out. With the veritable cornucopia of Android
sizes I determined that it would be an impossible task to have images for
all those resolutions. Now I did all this before there was rescaling in LC.
Back in the day I got Jacque's "You have to roll your own rescaling" reality
check. It's nice to see that rescaling is now in LC. I'm going to give a
whirl soon.

Ralph DiMola
IT Director
Evergreen Information Services