LC7 & Unicode

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 10 14:41:37 EDT 2015

Terence Heaford wrote:

 > Can LC 7 & LC 8 be coded to enable Unicode to be switched “on”/“off”
 > either globally or on an individual control basis?

Not likely.

Unicode affects all things that deal with strings.  That's pretty much
most of the engine.

Moreover, the refactoring for Unicode wasn't limited to Unicode alone,
but incorporates a wide range of changes that are needed to knock off
the rest of the Kickstarter goals.

No one expected the first pass at such a deep revision to be both
uncommonly transparent to users and also optimized.  Now that v7 is out
they can explore ways to refine performance.

This may be a good time to remind people of the invitation posted here a
few weeks ago from RunRev's Peter Brett:  if you have a project which
runs noticeably slower, contact support AT runrev.com to make
arrangements to send it to them so they can profile it and optimize
those portions of the engine that can make the biggest difference.

V6 is clearly legacy technology.  V7 is the bridge to v8 and everything
else the future holds.

Just as there came a time when the team had to move on from v3, v4, and
v5, the longer they need to maintain v6.x the longer it will take to
complete the Kickstarter goals.

So let's identify those issues that truly prevent us from moving our
projects to v7, and with any luck they'll be fixed as quickly as the
"print into rect" issue was.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager