Beyond PowerStatus: Concurrency options

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 13:18:33 EST 2015

One very simple concurrency thing I would like to see is an optional "to
thread with message" type of syntax.  This would be similar to the way
sockets are handled, if something apears in the socket, a message is
dispatched.  For things like long list processing, where the app doesn't
need to wait for completion (just an example) one could "dispatch
"doMyList" to thread with message "listDone".  It would be up to the
programmer to decide if it would work for their need, though with care, one
could selectively disable functionality while a thread was active, allowing
other parts of the application to remain functional.

I've already done similar using the load command and a local lcserver
enabled web server.  Divide up a big job into chewable pieces, off "Load"
them to the webserver, and gather/collate the results as they're returned.