Power Status (was Re: Because LC can't do two things at once.)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Mar 7 11:12:33 EST 2015

Michael Doub wrote:

 > On 3/7/15 1:35 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> What value is being added to the library user with "__"?
 >>
 > I originally did this because I thought it would avoid name space
 > collisions.   I thought that I would receive feedback if folks
 > thought it was a bad idea.   As you can see, it is extra work and
 > it is easy for me to make a mistake.
 >
 > I would be happy to remove them if folks would find it more useful.
 > Please just let me know.

Such mistakes are easy for all of us, so I'd vote for simplicity.

Many name-space issues go away with v8, but for now if we feel there's a
risk of folks using an existing function named PowerSource we might
consider prefacing it with the initials of the collection ("ml" - it's
Master Library, yes?), so it could be:

get mlPowerSource()

FWIW I appreciate efforts to distinguish getters from setters by
including "get" as part of a function name, but it becomes odd to read
things like:

  get getPowerSource()

Personally I believe that being a function makes its role as a getter
implicitly clear enough as-is.
--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems