Printing in LC 7.0.3

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Mar 6 14:44:30 EST 2015

On 3/6/2015 2:03 AM, Terence Heaford wrote:
> If someone considering moving to LC saw that User Interface defects
> can take this long to sort out then why should they.

I wonder what they'd think if they read this thread.

> When the status of a Bug is CONFIRMED what is the decision process with regard to.

Here's my understanding of it:

> 1. Whether or not it will be actioned.

The status is updated so you know.

> 2. When it will be allocated to an engineer.
> 3. When it will be actioned by.

These are determined, as I mentioned before, on priorities set by
considering criticality (crashes, for example,) the current unit of code
being worked on, whether there is a workaround, and other factors I
wrote about. There is no hard time frame, it depends on the bug and the
circumstances.

> 4. If the decision is taken not to action, is the reporter of the Bug informed?
> 5. If the decision is taken not to action is the CONFIRMED status set to something else?

Yes. The status is changed in both these cases.

> 6. If someone has reported a Bug and no action is taken in a time scale what happens.

It sits there. You shouldn't see this very often any more since the team
has adopted a better system internally for keeping up. You probably will
see it with older bugs that have gotten lost in the thousands of older
issues. If one of those is important to you, add a comment or, better, a
test stack with a recipe. Contributing to the report pops it into their
recent queue so they will see it.

> 7. Does anyone actually look at Bug reports as old as those above?

Probably not. As Richard mentioned, some of those bugs are so old it
would be too time consuming to go through the list and test each one to
ensure they are still valid problems; many if not most of them are no
longer relevant. RR did send out emails to all bug reporters asking them
to review their old reports and close any that no longer apply. I did
that but I'm not sure how many other people did. Some of those ancient
bugs were handled by engineers who aren't even working for RR any more,
and those reports are probably in a dead queue somewhere. If you notice
any of those, you should ask to have them closed if they are no longer
valid. The team would thank you for it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com