Drawing a line in LC7

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Mar 2 11:09:38 EST 2015

Richmond wrote:

> Aha: so the 'Tip' now needs to be removed.
>
> I wonder exactly WHY the thing was changed?
>
>  From the point of view of teaching & writing a book on Livecode, a
> Language-cum-IDE that keeps changing features like that
> (especially if those changes are left for folk to stumble on, rather
> than documenting them in LARGE, RED letters) is going to
> be seen as a pain-in-the-B.
>
> Certainly, it would be VERY NICE indeed if the "good folks" at RunRev
> could put together a COMPREHENSIVE list of changes
> (i.e. not just the fancy, eye-catching ones they use for marketting)
> post version 7 so that people like myself, who haven't
> got all the time in the world for messing around with Livecode on the
> off-chance that well stumble upon some new, undocumented
> change, can plan our Summer courses properly so we don't end up with egg
> all over our faces come July.

That presumes it was changed intentionally, rather than merely a bug
perhaps caused by some of the sweeping changes for Unicode.  My guess
would be that so very few people use the write-only comma-only form that
the team member updating that routine may just not have been aware of
that option.

Intentional changes are noted in the Release Notes accompanying each
build.  Any change not listed there is a bug.  And existing syntax very
rarely changes.

In the Release Notes you'll also find a list of Dictionary changes,
which since the engine went open source are usually kept in sync with
any additions or enhancements made with each version.

Once in a while something slips through the cracks, but lately not often
as their process now includes tracking of the docs along with the rest
of the change process.

I've already file a report on this:
<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-livecode/2015-March/211991.html>

--