LiveCode 7.0.3: a new meme

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Mar 1 11:03:42 EST 2015

James Hale wrote:
 > Paul wrote...
 >> I ran Disk Utility to check the HD for repair/permissions and all
 > is fine.
 >

 > Checking the permissions only checks software installed by Apple
 > giants their receipts. Nothing else is checked, certainly nothing
 > related to directory structures.
 >
 > If DO you think there might have been some corruption or glitch in
 > the folder structure then you might want to use the disk utility to
 > verify the volume. You could also boot in single user mode and run
 > fsck as indicated on screen once the boot is complete.

Excellent advice for disk checking, but I think Jacque's on it with the
way the IDE touches the disk each time a menu is accessed.

Before I started using OwnCloud to sync my plugins folder, all my
machines shared a network-mounted volume.  The IDE was very very slow
with menu access because the time it takes to do file operations over
the network is of course much longer than locally.

With OwnCloud I now get syncing (and backup and versioning and more -
great toolkit) so I haven't spent much time looking into this, but it
seems odd that the IDE would care about things outside of the specific
folders it needs (Plugins, Externals, etc.).

So even though Paul's stuff was in his My LiveCode folder, I can't
imagine how any other folders there would affect the IDE.  But
apparently they do.

It would be cool if someone had the time to go through the IDE code to
find out exactly what's going on, or alternatively I don't think it
would be overreaching to file an enhancement request to refine the way
file access is done in response to menu access.

We all want the IDE to be as responsive as possible, so things like
this, which can be mysterious to try to track down, become problems for
even experienced users.

I like to believe there may be some other way to do what the IDE needs
to do without having to make several disk accesses every time a menu is
accessed.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  LiveCode Community Manager