LiveCode 8 and a new video player?

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Thu Jun 4 19:38:21 EDT 2015

On Jun 4, 2015, at 1:37 PM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

> Already sold: RunRev is committed to delivering a player object for all supported platforms.
Are you under the impression that they are not going to use native hooks for each platform for video playback?
Eg: AVFoundation for Mac, WMP for Win, [fill in standard framework] for Linux.  Are they not going to make a public facing API that deals with connecting devs to the same features across platforms where possible.

> As I said, I'm not sure of the specifics of their plan for Linux, so it would be helpful to learn more about which library/framework they intend to use.  Good ones are available under LGPL.
Will this licensing be compatible with the commercial version of LiveCode as well?

> Many such frameworks integrate well with D-bus' MPRIS (Media Player Remote Interfacing Specification), the common interprocess messaging subsystem installed on most modern distros:
> <http://specifications.freedesktop.org/mpris-spec/latest/fullindex.html>
The features seem pretty complete. I did not see any transformations like mirroring video. This is something we need.

> To address your broader concern about the perceived difficulty of running multimedia in Linux, all I can say is try it and you'll see for yourself how far Linux has come today.
If the user has to download a 3rd party player, I would not qualify this as out of the box ready. For some markets, that is ok. For others, it can be very expensive to tech support.

Best regards,

Mark Talluto
livecloud.io
canelasoftware.com