Standalone Build Problem

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jun 2 14:28:21 EDT 2015

On 6/2/2015 11:30 AM, Bob Sneidar wrote:
> I can see now why people strongly advise NOT to use the substacks
> feature. It is none too compatible with standalone building.

The option for this in standalone settings moves existing substacks out
of the mainstack and into individual files on disk. This creates the
same structure as the splash stack you are currently trying to make
manually. It works fine, the warning you may be remembering is to advise
people that the final structure will change a bit, and their code may
need to accomodate that.

A splash stack is just a shell containing the LC engine. It typically
contains nothing but a single card with a splash/startup image (thus the
name) and has almost no working code at all except the handler that
opens the "real" stack. It opens the working mainstack as a document
rather than as an app so that you can save the changes and they will
stick, which an app can't do. You can think of a splash stack as nothing
but the LC engine with only a few scripted commands tossed in.

Sometimes I do include substacks in my splash. These typically contain
things that never change and the app needs for all the other separate
document stacks it opens, such as icon libraries or printing templates.
But all the main working code is in the document mainstack which the
splash app opens.

If you do not ever need to save changes to the stack, you don't need to
use the splash stack method. Just build the mainstack as the app and do
not choose to separate the substacks. It will behave as it does during
development.

The reason "search for inclusions" isn't a good choice when using a
splash stack is because the search looks through all the scripts to find
references about what to include. A splash stack very rarely has much
code, and searching will reveal nothing. It's easy enough to just select
the libraries you know you'll need.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com