Parsing and Extracting Text from ePub XHTML

Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Thu Jul 30 00:06:21 EDT 2015

pursuant to my last long winded email.

I've boiled it down to something very simple

The company doing our ePubs is mixing

1) unicode HTML dec entities for diacriticals in the IAST roman char range
2) Unicode UTF strings for Tamil and Devanagari script

and

3) old fashioned punctuation in the range of ISO-8859-1
<http://www.alanwood.net/demos/charsetdiffs.html#a> 128-255. ( I think... )

1 and 2 above work fine, mixing #3 into the text blocks does, for
mysterious reasons I cannot fathom (I wonder if it show correctly on
Windows) show correctly in a browser.

http://dev.himalayanacademy.com/book/dancing-with-siva/7

the curly apostrophe in "Sampradaya's" and the mdash on the last line
"souls—he who..." are rendered in the browser  I guess browser are built
to properly render mixed unicode and ISO 8859-1 text in the same
block...just guessing...

BUT! they turn into garbage if saved copied out of a LC field and pasted
into a MySQL column/field meanwhile all the Unicode (both html entities
and UTF strings) are rendered correctly and preserved across all
"transport agents"  -- GET POST via an api.php then processed in stacks
with LC JSON encoded array etc.  but not any character in the range of
127-255...

dunno why, but at least we know what to do... not use any ANSI! Unicode
all the way...

It's as simple as:

command getContent pBookPart
    put the uBookFilesLocation of this stack into tPath
    put url  ("file:" & tPath & "/ops/xhtml/" & pBookPart ) into tText

# Fix ANSI chars first
    replace "—" with "—" in tText
      replace "’" with "’" in tText

#unicode all the way!
      put uniDecode(uniEncode(tText,"UTF8")) into tText
       set the htmlText of fld "CurrentChapterText" to tText

end getContent

Now, the content in the field can be cut pasted and move to MySQL and
the quote and mdashes all work... hurray...

Swasti Astu, Be Well!
Brahmanathaswami

Kauai's Hindu Monastery
www.HimalayanAcademy.com