Thousands Separators

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 28 09:59:13 EDT 2015

It's of course very useful that we have a community able and willing to
share handler for things like number formatting.

But stepping back to look at the big picture, I find myself wondering:

Why is that even necessary?

Why isn't that just a field property, e.g. "the displayFormat"?

The core language is very easy to use, but in many very common cases
like this it's not so easy at all, as we have to hand-craft things that
less capable tools provide as simple property settings.

Another good candidate complimenting displayFormat would be inputFilter,
allowing us to set a property to enforce data entry rules for specific
types (numeric, phone numbers, email addresses, etc.).

For all the wonderful time-saving features LiveCode provides, we spend
way too much time re-inventing some very basic wheels.

Sure, we could wait for v8's Widgets for something like this, but I
wouldn't mind seeing a behavior library for this sooner.  I'd help.
Anyone have the time to steward such a project?  Even better if someone
here has the chops to do this in the engine where it's arguably most
beneficial for all of us.  I'd chip in on a bounty for either of these.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems