New Indy License Pricing

Andrew Kluthe andrew at ctech.me
Tue Jul 21 13:22:26 EDT 2015

Just read through some of the forum threads.

Price Increase? No big deal.
Commercial vs Open Source Feature Parity? Could also be no big deal if done
with some good intentions.
Only Subscription licensing? No big deal, helps keep costs down for us to
stay bleeding edge and helps stabilize the income runrev can count on.

But all three of these together? It's kind of obvious why people are
complaining/suspicious of the long term intentions here.

The issue is trust. In trusting runrev to know how to walk the fine line
with the commercial features/licensing, not any of the issues individually.
Not everyone is just going to take them for their word with this stuff
anymore.

Without that trust all of these things look very suspicious.

"We're gonna do all these things to get to what we promised, but after that
..." after that, what?

You take livecode open source to get funding to redesign it, release the
completed redesign as open source and after some time completely focus
future development efforts on commercial? Is that the after? It seems like
that's what the mother ship was saying on those threads.

"No, that's not what we want to do. We are committed to being Open Source."

Until you hit another funding wall and then those wants becomes have to's?

Sure, it's a slippery slope fallacy, but the ground we've just traveled on
from April 2013 didn't feel real solid.