Livecode and "Extended Validation" SSL certificates and recursionlimit mystery!

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jul 14 14:57:59 EDT 2015

On 7/13/2015 9:23 PM, Bruce Pokras wrote:
> The first time I opened the stack in 7.0.6 that had been developed
> under 6.0.2 I received an error message related to the “openstack”
> command in the stack script. It said that the value to which I had
> set the recursionlimit property “is not a number.” The value I used
> was 20000000. Looks like a number to me! (I am on a Mac, so the
> Windows issue does not effect me). I tried various numbers until I
> finally narrowed it down. Attempting to set the recursionlimit
> property to any number greater than 65535 gives me an error that that
> value is not a number. Also, setting the recursionlimit to a low
> number like 40 does not work as expected. After setting the
> recursionlimit property to 40 I typed “put the recursionlimit” into
> the message box and hit “return.” The number that it returned was in
> the high 30-thousands!

I'm not sure about the 30,000 issue, but 65535 is the upper limit for a
16-bit number. It may be that earlier versions of LC just didn't throw
any errors if you exceeded that.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/65535_(number)>
"65535 occurs frequently in the field of computing because it is the
highest number which can be represented by an unsigned 16-bit binary
number. Some computer programming environments may have predefined
constant values representing 65535, with names like MAX_UNSIGNED_SHORT."

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com