Livecode and "Extended Validation" SSL certificates

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jul 11 09:26:07 EDT 2015

Bruce Pokras wrote:

 > Recently, the app's requests for the access token kept resulting in
 > an error message. I tried a lot of differnt work-arounds. Nothing
 > helped.
 >
 > I finally posted my problem to an EPO forum for OPS users, and
 > included the error message which at the time made no sense to me.
 > From the response I received from OPS support, they had recently
 > changed from conventional SSL certificates to new “Extended
 > Validation” SSL certificates. Could there be something about the
 > Livecode implementation of https that is not compatible with these EV
 > certificates? Does that make sense? Here is the error message:
 > ---
 > error -Error with certificate at depth: 1 issuer = /OU=GlobalSign
 > Root CA - R2/O=GlobalSign/CN=GlobalSign subject = /C=BE/O=GlobalSign
 > nv-sa/CN=GlobalSign Extended Validation CA - SHA256 - G2 err
 > 7:certificate signature failure
 > —
 > Once I knew this to be related to SSL, I added
 > "libURLSetSSLVerification false” to the scripts. No more errors and
 > the app receives the access token without any problem. However, I
 > felt it might be useful to put this issue in front of this
 > knowledgeable group as both a warning and as a seed for discusion.
 > Why did Livecode work fine with the old SSL certificates, but does
 > not with the EV certificates?

Thank you for posting that, Bruce.

I've seen a similar issue with an app I make that uses a similar cert on
the server we use for storage,  but here the problem is intermittent so
I've been reluctant to file a bug report until I can pin down a reliable
recipe.

Is this issue consistently reproducible for you?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems