Diesel is down

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 15:59:12 EDT 2015

On 10/07/15 22:03, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Richmond wrote:
>
> > Face facts, RunRev's web system: servers, web-pages are totally
> > compromised at present
>
> To say the web pages are "compromised" normally suggests the site was
> hacked, and intruders have control of it.  I haven't seen anything
> like that.
>
> What evidence have you seen of that?
>
> Or did you mean to write something else?
>

> > It is pretty telling that RunRev are NOT making any sort of obvious
> > effort to keep us informed about what is going one
>
> A few of us have mentioned this almost daily.  Do you read the
> use-livecode list?

I understood, Richard Gaskin, that your good offices [which are, indeed,
very good], were offered on a voluntary basis,
not as part of any official RunRev thing.

A service provider (and that is what RunRev now is) that wanted people
to believe it really cared would be pumping out
hourly bulletins on what it was doing anent its DDos (or whatever it
really is????).

> > (if they are doing anything beyond sitting in Edinburgh and
> > dithering in the hope that things will just go away)
>
> Of course not, as I've written before.  But since your strong opinions
> on this certainly aren't merely random bad manners,

NO, most definitely not.

Often, my concern runs away with itself and it comes across as bad
manners, but it is real concern about a programming
suite/language/IDE/RAD/whatever that I care desperateyly about, and have
invested the last 15 years in learning how to use.

If calling a spade "a spade" rather than an "earth relocation
instrument" is bad manners; then I'm bad mannered.

But being mealy-mouthed only seems to get so far.

> could you kindly share with us the benefit of your experience and let
> us know what you'd recommend they do?

Well:

1. Sort out the website so that it has some sort of logical hierarchy
and is east to navigate and find what one wants.

2. Ensure that web-pages don't disappear without any warning, and that
some links don't lead to dead ends.

3. Start marketing LiveCode as if they mean it: get it onto CDs attached
to mags, get it onto TV shows, radio shows, Windows fan websites,
Mac fan websites, Linux fan websites.

4. Get stuff out to ministries of education all across Europe and the
Americas, Australasia, and, why not? the rest of the world.

5. Set up some sort of certification for training courses so people
teaching the language don't just give their students pretty certificates
that have no external validity.

6. Stuff the website with nearly every single example of commercial
software produced using LiveCode so website readers can see
just exactly how wide a range of stuff can be produced using LiveCode.

7. Have special sections of the website where people can see stuff
produced for iOS and Android with LiveCode; possibly with embedded movies
so they can see them in action.

8. Mirror its services so that a DDoS attack wouldn't have much of an
effect at all as a backup mirror would kick into place.

9. Listen to the large number of "grumps" that have appeared with
increasing frequency, demonstrate that listening is going on,
and respond within as rapid time-frame as possible to those grumps.

10. End of the week, and I am tired, as I'm sure almost everybody else
is; but I am sure the list could get longer and some folk might like to
help lengthen it.

> > I don't know what is going on
>
> No argument here.  ;)
>

> > . . . blame DDoS attacks if you want
>
> Seems a reasonable thing do to when faced with a DDoS attack.

However, many websites that do suffer DDoS attacks seem to get things up
and running again remarkably quickly . . .

The thing that is a real pity is that Runtime Revolution LiveCode has
got "it", the magical thingy that makes for a programming environment which,
while allowing "babies" to start producing functional stuff very quickly
indeed [I have seen that these last few weeks], also has unbelievable
high-level capabilities, and yet it is floating around like some fort of
flounder at the bottom of the sea when it should be like a shark or a
barracuda up "there" ripping sh*t out of all the other programming
languages. It isn't, and I think if we are all honest we have a fairly
good idea why.

Kevin and his team are brilliant programmers, but their public face is
just not up to scratch.

I may sing like Caruso, but because my face is like a pig's bottom I am
just not going to get engagements at La Scala and so on.

Richmond.