Release 6.7.6 / 7.0.6

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jul 6 13:11:33 EDT 2015

Richmond wrote:

 > On 05/07/15 20:18, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>
 >> I believe both the RQCC being down and the bug itself may be related
 >> to the recent DDoS attack.  I'm unable to reproduce this issue this
 >> morning under Ubuntu 14.10.  I would try again while the servers
 >> appear to be working well.
 >
 > This is a load of nonsense: see my new notes over at the bug report.
 >
 > Richmond.

I was volunteering time away from business and personal things on a
holiday weekend to try to help you, and that's how you respond?

Maybe your keyboard got stuck when you were trying to type "Thanks for
trying, but that doesn't resolve the issue."

My suggestion was based on the following:

- The LiveCode servers had been under periodic DDoS attacks over the
   previous few days.

- The LiveCode IDE makes some calls to their servers to verify accounts
   for opt-in features like the Dictionary comments and RevOnline.

- I was unable to reproduce the problem you'd reported on Xubuntu while
   I was running Ubuntu and Lubuntu, which are similar enough to Xubuntu
   be relevant here.

- You noted LiveCode was able to run but stopped at a point well after
   engine initialization, suggesting something script-related rather than
   compatibility of the engine with your OS config.

- The DDoS attacks had stopped at the time I was unable to reproduce
   the issue.

- My reply here was before you'd posted your follow-up to that report.

Given all this, although apparently I didn't guess correctly it wasn't a
bad first stab at a diagnosis.

I did read the comment there you'd posted later, and by now I trust
you've also read Hanson's:

    that is odd. We test all the installers for installation and
    execution before they get shipped. I also just tested the
    installation again, just in case we had missed something, but
    it installs just fine for "You only" on a non-root account.

    As Richard suggests, have you been able to install other versions
    of LiveCode on the machine you are trying to install 6.7.6?

The report is currently marked "Pending Awaiting Follow-Up", and with
any luck as you provide the information the team needs to reproduce this
they'll be able to find a solution for you.

In the meantime, when someone goes out of their way to try to help you
and you don't understand their methods, what you have is a question, not
a reason to dismiss their help as "nonsense".

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems