where does "startup" message go when in IDE

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sun Jul 5 13:01:10 EDT 2015

It's helpful to remember that the IDE is just a collection of stacks,
which are run automatically whenever the development engine is launched.

So the Dictionary's explanation is correct, and the recipient of the
startup message when running the IDE will be the IDE.

To initialize stacks simply and robustly in both development and at
runtime, I use a preOpenStack handler in the script of the first card of
the mainstack I'll later use to build the standalone from.

I don't think I've used the startup message since HyperCard.  HC never
had any "pre" messages, and its IDE was written in a language other than
its own, so the startup message was useful if not necessary there in
ways that LC offers us much more control over.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems