Release 6.7.6 / 7.0.6

Richmond richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 14:46:35 EDT 2015

On 04/07/15 20:57, Mark Wieder wrote:
> On 07/04/2015 09:27 AM, Richmond wrote:
>
>> Bug report 15574
>
> I tried to add info to the bug report, but the quality center is down
> right now. I managed to launch both commercial and community 6.7.6
> builds on my 64-bit linux Mint 17 system. I've never been able to
> launch from the installer window, and I've rather given up trying. I
> have noticed that the first launch after install always fails, and
> hangs with the symptom you described, and then the second launch works
> properly.

I have noticed that as well. However, I tried 6.7.6 about 10 times with
the same result.

Oddly enough my slobbishness in not upgrading to 64 bit Linux has paid
off . . . at least in terms of bug-spotting.

> I also noticed, and when the quality center returns from the dead I'll
> file a bug report on this, that both versions of 6.7.6 load *all* the
> livecode stacks in my home directory into memory. This is new
> behavior, as 6.7.5 doesn't do this, and I can't think of a reason why
> this would be desirable behavior.

That sounds awful: especially if one is trying to run 6.7.6 on a machine
with limited RAM.

I am having no such problems with 7.0.6

Now for a fairly naive question, but possibly not half as daft as it seems:

What is the point of the 6.7 series when the 7.0 series is
up-and-running smoothly?

Are there features in the 6.7 series that have not yet been incorporated
into the 7.0 series? (seems unlikely and slightly odd).

I have been recently extremely impressed in the way Unicode is handled
in the 7.0 series having been teaching children how to
build "typewriters" for no-Latin writing systems:
https://www.facebook.com/RMLCclasses

To the extent that I cannot understand why anybody wanting to leverage
the Unicode writing system would bother
with any version of LiveCode before the 7.0 series.