menu buttons and showname

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jul 2 11:28:31 EDT 2015

Peter Haworth wrote:

> So my technique of setting showname to false if the text is empty is the
> only way round this?
>
> Also, you can have a label for an option menu with empty text. Try setting
> the text of an option menu to empty, then use the message box to set its
> label to some value.

With the OS X HIGs not nearly as complete as they used to be I can no
longer find the relevant section on this, but I believe most HIGs
suggest that we avoid giving the user the impression the control may be
broken by replacing empty items with some explanation of why it's empty,
or perhaps a disabled item simply saying "None".

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems