Set Script Limits in Standalones

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 18:03:37 EST 2015

On Sat, Jan 31, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Peter M. Brigham <pmbrig at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, but as an MD I have to protest this. I may not have contributed to
> knowledge in the sense of having published original research, but i'm
> confident that I have contributed to the well-being of thousands of
> patients. That said, I don't take offense at being called "Mr." outside of
> the office.

I'm not disputing the value of MDs,  but the meaning of "doctor" for a
couple of thousand of years before the creation of the modern MD.

The modern MD was designed (or named) specifically to "borrow" the
prestige/reputation/non-killing-patients of the doctors of the university,
at a time when general medicine was more likely to hurt than help (I think
crossover to net good was 1920, give or take, in the western world).

It was a wonderful change, and a major factor in modern prosperity.  But an
MD isn't what the word doctor (latin for "teach") has meant and been used
as--one who has both acquired significant knowledge in a field, and
contributed to that knowledge (and neither does a J.D., which I also have).

I just get a kick out of it every time I hear the pompous "I'm a real
doctor" from an MD dismissing, well, real doctors :)

I don't mind the title around, but the chutzpah in dismissing the real
thing is amusing.

(I understand, however, that there was an older MD that was comparable to
the PhD and DD, but that's not who most folks were treated by . . .)

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462