IP Calculator Final Version

Bob Sneidar bobsneidar at iotecdigital.com
Mon Jan 26 19:22:25 EST 2015

Oh thanks Alex I will check for those. I though they would be covered in the part that checks that each octet is a number between 0 and 255.

As far as the CIDR depth, it is true that technically you can have a CIDR of 32, but it is not a network that can be used. That would leave no usable addresses, and the subnet and broadcast addresses would not be assignable. A CIDR of 31 has 2 addresses, neither of them usable by a node, as they would have to be the subnet address and the broadcast address.

The highest CIDR that has any node assignable addresses is 30. That has only 2 usable addresses, and is typically used as the WAN subnet for a single IP router, the other being the gateway address.

A CIDR of 0 has no subnet mask, and therefore cannot be used except for a multicast network where everything is a node, there is no universal broadcast address and no routing is possible.

For the sake of accuracy, I will expand the range to 0 to 32. It will be up to the calling function to then determine if their subnet is usable.

Bob S