bringing a field of a sub-sub group to the for for editing

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 22:28:28 EST 2015

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 12:23 PM, Peter M. Brigham <pmbrig at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure if I know what you have in mind, but I wouldn't use a separate
> stack over the field being edited.

My output is basically shingled in rows, and I write the rows to the card
from top to bottom (which keeps tab order correct, too).

Also, I found that much to my surprise, formatting the schedule where this
is most important only takes 30ms on my test case (formatting/calculating;
not rendering).  I thought that it was an order of magnitude higher . . .
this makes slapping a redraw up a potential solution.

> For each editable field userInputField I would use openfield to trigger
> showing a scrolling input field at the same location, then on closefield
> I'd set the text or htmltext of of the field userInputField to the
> text/htmltext of the input field, then set the height of userInputField to
> the formattedheight of userInputField, and add the difference in height to
> each of the groups following.

D'oh! <insert head-banging emoticon here>

Now that you mention it, there's no reason to use a stack rather than a
field. I've been using floating stacks so much for controls, and also for
input search/reduction lists as the user types, that it didn't even occur
to me . . .

> You could set a custom prop of the scrolling input field to the name or ID
> of userInputField so it would load the correct field. Not sure if all of
> that is clear or will do what you want.

That part would definitely work; I already have the code that returns to
the correct place in place for other reasons (adding fields requires a
redraw)).

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462