extracting the thumbnail from digital photos?

Malte Brill revolution at derbrill.de
Sun Jan 18 14:34:28 EST 2015

Hi Richard,

how exactly does this only extract the thumbnail portion of a huge (10 MB) photo from disk and use it in an image object?
(I guess I should have made myself clearer, I am talking about the thumbnail image that is stored in the EXIF data of the image). My problem is that it takes "forever" (Over a second) to load the huge file into an image object, sizing it down. Also when you have more than 3 or four, the whole application becomes unresponsive. So one would need to size the images down, export the thumbnail and then use the downsized version after clearing the big ones. Now as most modern cameras store a preview in the exif data, I was hoping I could just extract that somehow reading the binary (which should be significantly faster)...

All the best,

Malte