Storing and saving a setting in a stand alone

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Jan 16 00:29:49 EST 2015

On 1/15/2015 9:31 PM, Kay C Lan wrote:
> Yes Scott,you are right it's still a valid method, but it's not a method
> that works for all platforms and for a product who's key feature is that it
> is cross platform, desktop and mobile, I see it being counter productive to
> provide an example that isn't.

I'm a little confused. The bug we were talking about in this thread
refers to a change in an OS X app's bundle structure, rather than where
user data is stored. Apple changed where files should go in bundles, and
to accomodate, LC now scans for our embedded files in a couple of places
in order to keep our code the same on all platforms. The engine will
manage file lookups behind the scenes so we can use the same file paths
everywhere. It's a good solution but there's a bug where it doesn't
always work. As soon as they fix that, our internal app paths will work
consistently as they always have, on any OS.

> Because everyone has rolled their own user data path handlers,
> user data is being saved in the correct place, whether it's a txt file, a
> data stack or one of the many other methods you mention.

The bug only applies to files that are stored as part of the app itself,
like documentation, images, video, and peripheral stacks. Where we, as
developers, store user data is a different thing. I haven't had any
trouble with the splash stack method aside from needing the bundle file
paths to be fixed in 6.7.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com