Script to Generate Concurrent Times

Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Thu Jan 15 22:02:47 EST 2015

Roger Eller wrote:
> So that's where the old saying, "your singing would bring a jersey cow to
> tears" comes from.<g>

LOL!

Hmmm back on topic:

Requirement: Generate current time list for a *future* time (for
scheduled webinar)

OK,  so it is easy enough to get world time from the linux system.

and FYI: LC "internet date" is, happily, using the standard RFC 2822
format  and we can invoke this also in the shell:

  -R, --rfc-2822
               output  date  and time in RFC 2822 format.  Example: Mon,
07 Aug
               2006 12:34:56 -0600

Check it out now

http://dev.himalayanacademy.com/tests/dates.lc
-----------

?lc

# copied the list from html source at:
# http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc  <http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc>

put url "file:/home/devhap/public_html/tests/zones.txt" into tZones

repeat for each line x in tZones
      set the itemdel to "/"
          if (the number of items of x) = 1 then
              put x into tCity
          else
               put item 2 of x into tCity
          end if
       put x into $TZ
       put shell("date -R") into tDTstring
       put tCity&  ": "&  tDTstring&  "<br />" after tWorldTimes
end repeat

      put tWorldTimes
-----------------

but that doesn't actually meet my requirement.
Sure: We get all the times to answer "what time is it now?"

But what if I want to a future time e.g. February 1, 1:30PM HST

and get a list of all dates/times across the globe that are concurrent with that future date/time?

Maybe I'll ask that on Expert's Exchange... man timezone isn't getting me anything.

I suppose one algorithm using LC native timedate conversion tools could be.

(the future date in seconds) - (Current time in seconds local time) = advanceToFutureIncrement

repeat for each concurrent time for now for all cities
     put (city[x] Time Right Now) + advanceToFutureIncrement  into tFutureWebinarTimeInCity[x]
     put tFutureWebinarTimeInCity[x]  &  "<br />" after tListOfNextWebinarTimes
end repeat

of course the above needs a bit more code, but not much more...

  Brahmanathaswami