Which version...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu Jan 15 14:51:53 EST 2015

Richmond wrote:

 >> On 15/01/15 16:34, Dr. Hawkins wrote:
 >>
 >> Pretty much standardized.
 >> An RC believes that all bugs are taken care of, and is only making
 >> sure of this.
 >
 > Why do I have a funny feeling that RunRev probably know that?

Because they're described in similar terms at the top of RunRev's
Downloads page:
<http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/>

It's helpful to clarify that "all bugs taken care of" is both close to
impossible and almost never happens with any software in the history of
the industry.

Instead, what's aimed for as a software gets close to release is that
all *critical* bugs are addressed, and of course the only ones that can
be addressed are those that are *known* at the time.

With most projects, from Apple's OS X to Adobe's Photoshop to RunRev's
LiveCode, minor issues may get put off for another version beyond the
one being tested.

Many here note that they only begin testing after release, and then
report bugs no one else has seen.  With complex systems in which the
interaction of commands creates a combinatorial explosion of possible
states, it's practically impossible to identify all possible issues
prior to release.  Awareness of this basic driver of all software
engineering of similar scope can be helpful in encouraging us to test
new builds with our scripts to ensure a new version will do what we
uniquely require of it.

It would be nice if all software shipped completely bug-free, but I've
never seen such a thing.  As a practical matter project teams tend to
prioritize issues and address the most critical first.

 > Although, having said that, they did "confess" that they test their
 > Linux versions on a horribly outdated version of Ubuntu.

Where did they write that?  Throughout the forums and the bugs reports
I've been following I've seen fairly regular references to Ubuntu 14.04
LTS, the most recent Long-Term Support release the project has.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems