Fields Have Labels

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Tue Jan 13 02:00:45 EST 2015

Creation time is certainly one of the points where separate controls for a
field and it's label is somewhat inconvenient.  As you mentioned, there are
tools out there that help alleviate the problem including Richard's.

I think I probably complicated the issue by saying we needed a new property
so it could be used with any control, plus the various comments on text
properties being available separately from the field itself.

All that would be great but I'd be happy if the label of a field could be
displayed just as the label of a group can be displayed, coupled with
making the new iconGravity property (or perhaps a more descriptive synonym
for it like labelPosition) apply to a field but relative to the text of the
field instead of the icon of a button. No need for showName, just set the
label of the field to empty if you prefer to carry on using separate label
fields.

I know nothing of the complexities of the engine but this seems like it
just makes use of existing properties and the existing logic for group
labels and icon labels. Plus it enables you to carry on using separate
label fields if you prefer. Off to the QCC.

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>
On 1/12/2015 12:32 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> I believe the attraction to auto-created labels is the time savings at
> the moment of creation.  To me this seems more of an opportunity for a
> creation tool than the need to modify the innards of the engine to
> invent a new class of sub-objects.

I have to agree. The complexity of adding a new property outweighs the
small effort to create a separate field and will be less flexible. There's
already a plugin called FieldsCreator available somewhere that creates
field/label pairs but I've lost where I found it.

 Rather than a request for the RQCC, why not just build it as a v8 widget?

Just what I was thinking. The ability to create pseudo-independent controls
as groups exists already and will improve by v8.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com

subscription preferences: