Fake typing?

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 17:27:54 EST 2015

Interesting.. Correct me if i'm wrong though. (which is likely) a Q is a Q
is a Q, which is why it would still be 81, even though the keyboard scan
code would be different, but then mapped to "Q" based on the layout.
 (meaning pressing the right key for Q on the keyboard would be mapped to
81)

If the purpose is to determine the current keyboard layout, (you mentioned
that somewhere above) I wonder if shell will work, though that has the
problem that the environment from shell and in an x session may be
different.

You might mess around with setxkbmap -query from shell()
also might look at the environment variables and see whats there.

I don't think you can force a keyboard to send a key unless its a
programmable, but I may be wrong on that.  I messed with dispatching
keydown and rawkeydown and dispatching things with some varied combinations
of numtochar, chartonum and the newer but related native functions, don't
see a way to force the behavior you wish.

The best option would be to tell the user to press a specific key and see
what pops out, and use that to determine layout.. assuming you can't get at
the info programmatically. <-- (spelling?)