[beginner] x,y coordinates in LiveCode

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jan 10 12:58:10 EST 2015

Colin Holgate wrote:
 > I suggested. One slight difference is that I tested mine first,
 > and discovered that mousewithin doesn’t work as a card script,
 > at least not on its own. Reading the dictionary it seems that
 > a mousewithin handler has to be inside the object itself.

Coordinates are a good opportunity to take advantage of something we
have in LiveCode that we only dreamed about in HC: mouseMove.

It's a good fit here because it's always sent when the mouse is in
motion, and not sent when at rest which is nice since at those moments
it's not needed.

on mouseMove x,y
    put "Object: "& the name of the target && the loc of the target &\
       cr&"Mouse: "& x,y
end mouseMove

--
  Richard Gaskin