Licensing

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 22:28:08 EST 2015

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 12:28 PM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:

> You can run the stack, modify or add to it in any way you choose for your
> own personal use.
>
> If you have modified or added to the code and you run into a problem, I
> will not support it unless the problem also occurs in the unmodified
> version of the stack.
>
> You may not give or sell the license to anyone else irrespective of whether
> you have modified the code.  I accept that there is no practical way for me
> to enforce this but it at least needs to be stated in the license
> agreement.

Actually, this language would probably do what you're trying to do.

If you've created your code with the commercial edition, you can use any
license you desire.  It is not "derived from" the community version for
purposes of its license.

With the code unlocked, and licensed from you, your customer can use it,
and no violation is using.

Your program can *contribute* to the code being produced by the community
edition,  and the CE license viraly attaches to the result.  Still no
problem.

There is only an issue if your code uses/includes language from the CE (and
then it is a problem before they even  write code), or if a combination
made with the CE and yours produces code and attempts to apply anything
from your license.

No problem; your license allows anything it writes for the user to be
released under the CE license--it would only be a problem if you attempted
to impose your license on the output

The question remains, though, as to how many $30 tools you can sell to
people that won't pay $100 for the LC software itself . . . and whether
this even puts a dent into the lost revenue from those that illegally
distribute your code . . .

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462