Licensing

Simon Smith hello at simonsmith.co
Tue Jan 6 17:09:46 EST 2015

oops, gmail acting up :(

Hi

I like Bill's advise

While I don't have have much experience with the LiveCode GPL, I have spent
some time looking at how the GPL is used with other software,(especially
WordPress), so not certain with how this would translate to LiveCode.

WP Developers that follow the GPL do on the whole seem to be very
successfull. Those that don't follow the GPL can also be equally
successfull, many on the other hand don't survive the public backlash.

There is also a growing trend in only doing licencing / support / updates
on an annual basis and moving away from lifetime support.

Going GPL / Opensource etc is definitly a leap of faith.

I think one of the most important thing's to offer though is great service
/ support to go with the software. Put the support and even documentation
behind a secure login, and it can go a long way to making a copy /
"unlicenced" version unattractive. It also makes the logistics of handling
support much easier.

Simon