Licensing

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Mon Jan 5 15:28:51 EST 2015

I'm still highly confused about how to license lcStackBrowser in a way that
allows it to be run in the Community Edition.

>From the programing perspective, it's a couple of minutes work to remove
the password protection. There will still be a charge for a license.

The major issue I have if I understand the GPL license and the Creative
Commons license correctly is that they both allow a licensed user to
"convey" the code to anyone they choose free of charge and that's not
acceptable to me.  I guess that makes it not "open source" but the
objective here is to make it available to Community Edition users, I don't
really care if it meets the criteria to be called "open source".

The basics for me are as follows.

You can run the stack, modify or add to it in any way you choose for your
own personal use.

If you have modified or added to the code and you run into a problem, I
will not support it unless the problem also occurs in the unmodified
version of the stack.

You may not give or sell the license to anyone else irrespective of whether
you have modified the code.  I accept that there is no practical way for me
to enforce this but it at least needs to be stated in the license agreement.

I may allow you to transfer the license if you request permission to do so.

Is there in fact an existing license template that meets the above criteria?

Pete
lcSQL Software <http://www.lcsql.com>