LiveCode 7.0.3: a new meme

Terence Heaford t.heaford at icloud.com
Fri Feb 27 14:17:04 EST 2015

Maybe for a simple put all the data in and scroll it but not for all the other things that a DataGrid can do.

My post was in response to Richard Gaskin’s request for information regarding areas of poor performance in LC.

I do have knowledge of using the regular field with tab delimited data but it does not give the breadth of opportunity provided by the DataGrid.

The real solution is to have the performance issues of the DataGrid addressed directly by LC engineers.

The limitation of the regular field route is probably why it was designed by Trevor Devore in the first place. I understand LC incorporated the DataGrid into their product.
This explains a lot. Trevor Devore probably designed and implemented the DataGrid to overcome the fact that there was no DataGrid within Revolution.
LC should have implemented there own DataGrid as part of the engine then there would be no speed problem now.
I can understand why they did not do this (I do have experience in Objective-C/Cocoa) as it is not a minor undertaking but if they had the benefits now would be enormous. Also LC voted not to use native controls but emulated so any table would have to be implemented from the ground up rather than using the native say Cocoa NSTableView.

For me, this is a major area of poor performance which needs to be addressed at the core level, by LC engineers, not by workarounds using mods to existing controls that have not really been designed for creating modern tables for a modern environment.

All the best

Terry