[OT] Wireless internet in my flat.

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Wed Feb 25 13:08:25 EST 2015

> On Feb 25, 2015, at 9:02 AM, Richmond <richmondmathewson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 25/02/15 18:31, kee nethery wrote:
>> Compare all the variants of 802.11 that your router supports and that your MacBook Air supports. Could be there is no common 802.11 between them if your router is really old tech.
>>
>> Kee
>>

> So, what you are saying is that my son's MacBook air is a fussy thing, while all thise generic devices are just "sl*ts" :)
>
> And, what is the lesson? Pay more for a MacBook so you then have to pay more for other things!
>
> Richmond.

No. What I am saying is that WiFi standards continually march forward. Some security protocols have been discontinued and abandoned because they are totally insecure. MacBook Air might not support old insecure security protocols. The 802.11 spec has evolved over the years, faster better, etc. Some of the 802.11 specs are so old that newer devices might not support them. Most  WiFi routers work fine with a MacBook Air but if yours is really old or totally insecure, it might be time to upgrade.

The number of WiFi connections is also a possibility.

Kee