7.0 Issues

Peter Haworth pete at lcsql.com
Thu Feb 19 21:49:43 CET 2015


Thanks Eric, yes that does indeed help.  However, I'm still confused.  The
dictionary indicates that if the new parameter, version, is not present
then arrays are encoded the old way.  None of my calls include the new
parameter so not sure how they ended up being inaccessible in pre7 versions.

I guess the gist of my post was what else have I failed to account for?  Is
there a document somewhere that details what code structures may need
attention when moving back and forth between LC7 and prior versions?  I'm
guessing that anything addressing char chunks or offset would need to be
changed.

On Thu Feb 19 2015 at 12:31:24 PM Eric Corbett <eric at canelasoftware.com>
wrote:

> Not sure if this helps, but LiveCode 7 uses a different arrayEncoding than
> previous version due to Unicode. Check the dictionary on how to use
> arrayEncode in 7 to be able to decode in an earlier version.
>
> Eric
>
>
>
>
> On Feb 19, 2015, at 12:16 PM, Peter Haworth <pete at lcsql.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been careful to create separate versions of my stack files and
> > Livecode Preferences folder for use when running LC 7.  However, it seems
> > there other issues with compatibility.
> >
> > I save the preferences for my application in a file in the
> > /Library/Application Support folder with the following statement:
> >
> > *write* base64Encode(arrayEncode(gSettings)) to file <filepath>"
> >
> > These are then read in at startup with:
> >
> > read from file myPath until EOF
> >   if it is empty then
> >      put empty into gSettings
> >   else
> >      put arrayDecode(base64Decode(it)) into gSettings
> >   end if
> >
> > Yesterday, I started working on this stack with LC7 and the prefs file
> was
> > saved by the LC7 version of the stack.
> > Today, I needed to go back to the non LC7 version of the stack.  To my
> > surprise, a runtime error was thrown on the "put arrayDecode..."
> statement
> > above.  The  it variable looked  like it contained base64 encoded data.
> >
> > I ran the LC7 version of the stack again and the runtime error did not
> > occur.
> >
> > I restored the preferences file from a Time Machine backup that I know
> > preceded my use of LC7, ran the application again with LC 6.6.2, and all
> > worked fine.
> >
> > So it seems that something in either the array/base64 encode/decode
> > functions changed between v6.6.2 and 7.0.1.
> >
> > I really want to use LC7 but stuff like this makes me very nervous.  How
> > many other inconsistencies like this are lurking out there.
> > _______________________________________________
> > use-livecode mailing list
> > use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
> > Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> > http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> use-livecode mailing list
> use-livecode at lists.runrev.com
> Please visit this url to subscribe, unsubscribe and manage your
> subscription preferences:
> http://lists.runrev.com/mailman/listinfo/use-livecode
>


More information about the use-livecode mailing list