iOS 64-bit support and 1st Gen iPad

Chris Sheffield cs_livecode at icloud.com
Thu Feb 19 14:14:19 EST 2015

Got a question I’m hoping someone can answer. I’ve done some research, but can’t find what I’m looking for.

With LC 6.7.2, we gained 64-bit support for iOS apps. It seems to include 32-bit support as well, since I can install and run an app on my 1st Gen iPad mini running iOS 8.1.3. However, we are also in need of still supporting the 1st Gen iPad (if at all possible), running iOS 5.1.1. I can’t seem to get my app to install on that device, no matter what I try (Xcode, iTunes, TestFlight, other testing service, etc.). From Xcode, I get a message that apps that include 64-bit architecture cannot be installed with Xcode on devices running anything older than iOS 6.0. But the message also suggests that installing on a 1st Gen iPad will still be supported through the App Store, although it’s a little vague. But if that’s the case, how in the world do we test our apps before going live with them!?

So, is anyone out there still trying to support the iPad 1? If so, have you been able to get an app installed after building it with LC 6.7.2? *Should* this work? Is there perhaps a bug of some kind in LC? Just trying to figure out what’s going on exactly. If we have to, we can probably drop iPad 1 support, since users would still be able to download the older version of the app through the app store, but that means no more updates for that device…

Thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Sheffield