[ANN] R.I.P. Mac Mini

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Wed Feb 18 20:31:52 EST 2015

A few days back I finished doing a few minor corrections to my Unicode
"File/Folder/Picture Choosers" for Windows and Linux, and declared them
"stable". If you download them, please test them well before
distributing them in any way, to make absolutely sure they are as
"stable" as I think they are.

I then had an idea. I had had a first-generation Mac Mini sitting in the
corner of my computer room for a long time, and I hadn't done much with
it. (One reason is that it had a broken DVD drive.) It occurred to me
that since the Mac file system is not so different to that of Linux, it
might not be too difficult to produce some chooser widgets for Mac as
well. Of course, they would need to be "legacy" (English only) widgets,
because the machine had OS X Tiger 10.4 that was not supported by
LiveCode/Unicode. So I had a bash at it. I rolled the Linux and Windows
widgets together, and soon came up with a new set of MAC chooser widgets
that had reached what I might fairly call the "beta" stage. However, the
very day after, my Mini started going a bit crazy, and like a drip I
didn't realize immediately that the cooling system had failed and that
it was overheating. The end result is that now I have a "fried" Mac
Mini. I do not intend to buy another one. In Brazil (my country of
residence), Macs are impossibly expensive. If I replaced my simple Mini
with an equivalent modern one, it would cost me $1,500 (which you might
find difficult to believe). You now know why Macs are extremely rare in
Brazil!

Luckily, I had not only finished the programs, I had taken a few
screenshots. I was therefore able to put the widgets up at my site:

GENERAL INFO:
http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/runrev_stacks_index.htm

MAC CHOOSERS PAGE:
http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/macchoosers/

DOWNLOADS:
http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/downloads/

Under the circumstances (of my now being "Macless"), I'd be grateful if
any of you could tell me:

a) whether these widgets work on a "real" MAC;
b) whether they are stable enough for usage in your opinion;
b) whether they detect DVD drives correctly as well as other USB devices
such as pendrives and external HDs.

Thanks!

Regards to all.