Reverse a list

Mike Bonner bonnmike at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 15:29:58 EST 2015

The second is slow, because the current position is not tracked.  So, for
line 1, its easy. You grab line 1. For line 2, you count the lines, until
you get to line 2.  Same for line 3.  Or think of it this way.. If you have
100 lines, and you are grabbing all of them using the second method, The
first line iterates once. The second, 2 times, the 3rd, 3 times, so if you
follow that to conclusion you have 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5.. as each "seek" from
the beginning takes longer.  So to iterate through the list of 100 using
that method, you are seeking 5050 times.. For a list of 100.

The other way, just dumps them out in sequence, so the list is hit 100
times, and thats it. I suspect its like the "by position" method, as others
have pointed out. A pointer is kept, so that each new read starts at the
preceding position, though I seem to remember talking to someone who said
there might be changes in the pipe that would allow you to modify things
inline.  But I don't remember who I talked to about it!  (by inline I mean
"for each line tLine..." letting you modify tLine in place.)  This would be
possible if the engine converts it to an indexed array at the start, then
back again at the end.  Again, I don't remember who it was that I spoke to,
but it would be an interesting change, if the speed could be kept
comparable.